Verification Procedures and Notices
PLEASE READ THESE NOTICES CAREFULLY AND NOTE THE IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR GRANT VERIFICATIONS AND DEADLINES.
GRANT ANNOUNCEMENTS WILL BE MADE ON OR AROUND JANUARY 31ST 2008. PLEASE DO NOT SEND ANY DOCUMENTATION PRIOR TO BEING NOTIFIED WHETHER YOUR GIFT HAS BEEN AWARDED MATCHING FUNDS.
Download a PDF of the Verification Procedures and Notices
- Donor gifts that have been awarded matching funds must have been paid after November 5, 2007 and must be paid in full to the Jewish day school by May 1, 2008. If a donor pays their gift in more than one stage, please wait to send the verification documents until the entire grant amount has been paid.
- Please note that gifts must be cash (checks or wire transfers) or transfers of publicly traded stock. Illiquid stocks, annuities, Israel Bonds, or other slowly maturing instruments are not allowed. Please also note that we cannot match gifts that are made in the form of tangible goods such as Torah scrolls, land, or any other items given in place of cash or stock.
- Once a grant is completed you will need to provide us with verification that the grant has been made. Either the donor or the day school professional may provide the necessary notification. Please note, however, that it is the donor's responsibility in conjunction with the non-profit professional to ensure that the verification is submitted. MATCH will not be responsible for tracking down grant verifications. Donors should please be in touch with their professional contacts at the Jewish day schools to make sure that the verification is submitted correctly and in a timely fashion.
- Acceptable verification is a copy of both the front and back of a cancelled check or a copy of a wire transfer receipt. These must clearly indicate that a grant was made from the donor whose application was approved to the Jewish day school designated on the matching grants application. A copy of the front of a check accompanied by a ledger statement or deposit slip is not acceptable verification of the gift.
- If a donor makes their gift with a check from a Donor Advised Fund housed at a community foundation, a local federation or a financial management institution or from an account housed at a brokerage house or other financial management institution, documentation will be required indicating that the grant originated from an account belonging to the donor whose application was approved. If the donor's name or account number does not appear on these checks, donors should please request that the name of the account be included in the memo field of the check in order to ensure ease of verification. In addition, donors should request that the funds should not be bundled with other monies going to the same day school, but should be sent in isolation. Donors should confirm with the philanthropic fund/donor advised fund that a clear vehicle for verification will be available to trigger the match.
- If a donor is transferring a gift of publicly traded stock to the non-profit organization, we will require a paper trail verification that clearly specifies the value of the stock transferred and clearly indicates that the stock belonged to the donor whose matching grants application was approved and was transferred to the non-profit organization specified on the application. If the name of the donor or organization is not on the documentation, but the account number is, please provide documentation that indicates to whom the account belongs. In addition, if in the course of the stock transfer fees are deducted, the matching grant program will only match the amount received by the day school. If the fees deducted reduce the gift received by the school below $25,000, the donor will need to make up the difference before matching funds will be released.
- For donors paying their grants in Canadian dollars, the program will calculate the exchange rate of the matching grants based on the exchange rate on November 5, 2007.
- Please send the necessary documentation to:
Program Associate, Matching Grants
Jewish Funders Network
150 West 30th St., Suite 900
New York, NY 10001
- Once we have received acceptable verification that your grant has been paid in full, JFN will, within 30 days of our receipt of your verification make the payment to the non-profit organization.
- All verifications must be received at the JFN office by June 1st, 2008. Gifts whose verifications are not received by this time will no longer be eligible for matching funds.
- If you have any questions please be in touch with Jonathan Horowitz at the Jewish Funders Network. He can be reached at 212-726-0177 ext 218 or .